By Timothy Pakron
Have leftovers in your fridge? Use them to top our Pizzas! Our friend Timothy Pakron of Mississippi Vegan had some Brussels sprouts, hazelnuts and vegan cheeze on hand and made this beautiful meal.
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the hazelnuts on the baking sheet and bake them for 10 minutes until fragrant and lightly toasted. Remove them from the oven and set aside to cool. Once cooled, using the side of your knife, gently press down on them until they break in half or into smaller pieces. Set aside.
- Add the Brussels sprouts to a skillet, along with the water, vinegar, nutritional yeast, orange zest, olive oil, salt and pepper. Bring to medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cook until the liquid has evaporated and the Brussels sprouts are tender to fork. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Using the same parchment-lined baking sheet as the hazelnuts, remove the pizza from the box and place in the middle of the pan. Artfully add the Brussels sprouts on top, along with ½-teaspoon dollops of cranberry sauce (make sure each slice gets some).
- If using cheeze, scatter small dollops across the top. Bake in the oven for 14 minutes.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and sprinkle on the hazelnuts. Garnish with fresh oregano leaves, then slice and serve.
You can use whatever store-bought vegan cheeze you desire. Some of our favorites are almond ricotta, cashew herb and mozzarella-style shreds.
If you cannot find hazelnuts already peeled, you can do so at home. After they are roasted, carefully transfer them to a paper towel and wrap up the edges. Rub them around until the peels flake off. It’s ok if they are not completely peeled. Don’t beat yourself up about it.